Tuesday 17 April 2012

Back in the Uraine!*


After more than a year it was very good to be back in the Ukraine. Here is part of Borispol Airport, Kiev. I flew out to Kiev last Wednesday from Gatwick, and after a meal at Kiev airport, took an internal flight to Simferopol, the regional capital of the Crimea.

Ukraine food, like most Slav food is hearty. This was a superb meal of pork topped with fried sour cabbage, and potatoes. It was just what I needed. Then a short walk to the domestic terminal and an evening flight to Simferopol. The leader of the Tatar church in the city, Andrei, and his wife met me at the airport and took me to my hosts home for the night.

Here is my host Rastan, outside the apartment block the next morning, as we wait to meet up with Martyn Dunsford from the Newfrontiers church in Hedge End, who had just flown in from Istanbul.
*Back in the Ukraine reminded me of the 1968 Beatles song "Back in the USSR". Their song title has more of a ring to it! Those who know the song may recall it has the line "Ukraine girls really knock me out" That's not why I went! - I had better move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment